Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Sometimes I feel so alone."

A feeling that I can say I haven't felt much of, or at least since I've really committed myself to my church community and felt closer to God. But I realize it's something a lot of people feel, some so very often. I saw a picture someone drew that said "Sometimes I feel so alone" and a lot of the comments people wrote said, "Me too" or along those lines. Also expressed in those comments was a sense of hopelessness, like there wasn't much that could be done about it. And when I talk to different people and different friends, I see it's such a common experience.

A kind of inexplicable feeling. One that gets you right in the chest and can hit you whenever, even as you're surrounded by people. A feeling that quickly seeps into every part of yourself, makes you so utterly discontent with life for no good reason. And you're grasping for something within yourself, just something to hold onto, because you feel like you're sinking or drowning or falling. Somehow you feel completely detached from everything that is going on around you. A feeling that makes you want to cry but you don't because crying, too, seems so impossibly pointless and possibly make you feel so much emptier. A feeling that makes everything so meaningless, drains all desire to do much of anything.

Empty and hollow and unsatisfied, unfulfilled... alone.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
Romans 8:38-39, Isaiah 41:10

No comments: